The fifth annual MLK Day of Service was a huge success this year! Students from Belmont, Lipscomb, Trevecca Nazarene, Vanderbilt and Tennessee State Universities joined together to spend their day honoring Martin Luther King Jr. with a day of community service. The students traveled to many different places to help out in our Nashville community. There were seven sites that held many different service activites.
Here are a few quotes from Belmont participants:
- "The MLK Day of Service allowed me to make a positive impact on my community and helped me meet others people my age that had the same goal of making the Nashville area a better community." L. V. (Freshman)
- "I thought the day was extremely influential and supplemental to our education. It provided us with the opportunity to get involved with the surrounding community while bringing unity all around. All of us came together as one unit to help people in need. In today's day in age that is a huge feat and a successful one at that." S.P. (Freshman)
- "I really appreciated the opportunity to volunteer side by side with the other schools. This type of collaboration helps more than just the foundations where we worked, but also all of us who participated. Many times I've heard Belmont students make generalized statements about "Vandy kids." Working together helps us see that we are all the same--same basic hopes and dreams, and really big hearts." J.S. (Senior)
- "It was really great to have some many students of all different races come together and serve, and see how much things have changed for the better because of Dr. King." A.F (Freshman)
- "I enjoyed the experience and feel that it was a great way to grow closer to my friends and to meet new people. It may have been a long day, but time moves rather quickly when we got the hang of things and start having a lot of fun. " J.D (Freshman)
Check out the Belmont Office of Service-Learning Facebook page to see some photos from our day of service!